Monday, February 2, 2009

My Favourite Things Part 2

Pottery. Much like the ACEOs I blogged about last month, pottery and stoneware are a 'special addiction I have. I discovered many years ago that even myself and my very tall hubby have trouble breaking good stoneware, and thus began my quest.
Some families feel the need to have a matched set or pattern to their dishware...not me. I figure, if I get only a couple of pieces from each magnificant potter I find, I not only have a really beautiful array of different glazes and textures, but if hubby or I DO manage to break a piece there's no running around like a mad person trying to replace it.

Discontinued patterns be damned! I will never worry about broken dishes again! I can even use the beautiful shards of a broken piece for another craft project!

Don't get me wrong tho! I am picky about my pottery! I prefer earthy glazes. The pieces MUST be utilitarian! And I'm not really into pictures. Painted on or otherwise. Any pattern to the pieces I tend to choose are done in the glazing process. Swirls of colour, dots, geometric patterns...all totally acceptable. I have even been known to indulge in the occasional carved or etched piece. But it has to be really exceptional.






My husband has become accustomed to my rampant pottery addiction, and tries to be both supportive and restraining...I guess we really don't NEED a fifth mixing bowl....really. At the same time, he's a doll about replacements now! If he breaks a piece, he actually gets excited about finding a new one! (I've even gotten him to enjoy seeking out potters at craft fairs!) I can't truly express how it feels to have a big cup of hot coffee or tea in a beautiful piece of hand crafted pottery! Each of the pictures you see in this post are linked to the Etsy shops of the truly talented potters that created the item pictured. In a few notable cases, I already own a piece or two from that crafts person, (Risingsky, I LIVE to have hot cocoa out of the GIANT mug I bought from you!) but I have mostly

chosen to highlight the works of those I hope to buy from in the near

future. Antb and Fehustoneware, you both know I'm comin for ya! LOL!

And though a couple of these crafters are very new to me, I plan on raiding their sites as well!

Many thanks to : khphillips, charityelise, karinlorenc, fehustoneware, antb, tlwpottery and risingsky . All fantastic potters with shops on Etsy.com. Just check 'em out!
(NOTE: I believe the piece I chose from Antb was thrown by hubby Danny.)

4 comments:

~*~Pearl~*~ said...

Oh this is awesome!! What an honor to be in the company of these artists!! Thank you!!

Jewel Allen said...

My sister in law collects and even makes her own pottery. I have thought it would be so fun to make pottery.

But just looking at them is fun, too!

Thanks for visiting my blog :-)

pinkglitterfae said...

hi Gypsy! I would have to agree with you, there is nothing like a cup of coffee in a beautiful pottery mug. My favorite is a goddess mug I bought many years ago from a local potter. The handle is the body of a goddess, very unique. She even does handles with mermaids and cats.
thanks for stopping by my blog, it's always nice to hear from you :-)

Anna Lefler said...

I, too, am a pottery addict! Isn't it the best? :^)

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower - I really appreciate that!

Have a great weekend and see you soon...

~ Anna