Monday, June 28, 2010

Experiment: Weeks 10, 11 and 12.....It's Gonna Be a Long One!

Hello folks. It's been a very long and terribly introspective few weeks for our heroine! Therefore, I think y'all should buckle in. It's BOUND to be a few. :P
But let's start off with what you're used to. The garden report and news of the GIANT party and yard give here at casa Lavery.

So far so good with the garden!
I've had to move a few things into an area with some shade....what we have of it. There was some serious scorching happening on even some of the tough guys and it had me worried there for a bit, but between a little common sense (very little) and the NPR "You Bet Your Garden" guy, I had an ah ha moment. The shower setting on the hose is GREAT for early spring when the sun is NOT trying to kill everything, or cloudy days, but on bright, hot scorcher days the water droplets on the plant leaves is simply magnifying the sun! Like when you go swimming and then try to tan you're way more likely to burn. (Um....not that tanning is something my pale booty is really all that familiar with LOL!) SO...now I try to water ONLY at the base of my guys during the day and use the shower setting only on cloudy days or early evening. It seems to be doing the trick too. We've got actual produce coming in! WOOHOO! So far it looks to be a BUMPER crop of hot peppers, tomatoes and cukes, with the sweet peppers zooming in close behind. The herbs took a bit of a beating from the sun, but are bouncing back nicely and my pink Hydrangea experiment has worked, the blossoms are purple this year! (More acidic soil!)
As for the local buying, as predicted once the growing season really kicked off it became SO much easier! The New Hope Farmer's Market is really booming now, and if you're local here you REALLY should check it out. (I even bought little Gracie a teddy made from the very first shearings of local baby alpaca. ♥ ♥ ♥ ) This has been a great year for everything but lettuces. It got too hot, too fast for them sadly. But I think local corn is going to be amazing! I know I shouldn't be eating it....but all things in moderation right?

The party and yard give were a smash hit, I think. It looked to be around 85 to 100 people and everyone seemed to have a blast! No huge dramas, no breakage and people brought so much food for the pot luck that we STILL have food in the fridge! Thanks to all who came and had fun, and DOUBLE thanks to those who shared their culinary skills with us all!!! The kiddie pool came in handy as it was yet another HOT day, the fire bowl was drummed around, there were impromptu swordfights, singing and a cute puppy and cute baby being passed around. Folks even brought homemade alchohol! Nom nom! As for the yard give, we set up a HUGE table absolutely covered with things that needed new homes and when we broke down (at about 3:30 am) the only things left were some random stuffed animals in need of a home...hint hint.

Now....the weird random things that I've been pondering....
Firstly, all of this has been making me think a lot about what we NEED versus what we want, versus what we're being told we need. (Watch a documentary called Broke and see what it does to YOUR head!)
The yard give was a big thing for me. As many of you know, I have some problems letting go of things. Especially things I think I may need some day down the road. I like to be prepared for anything. (thus the back pack instead of a purse for most of my life.) It's sort of who I am. But by the same token...it's sort of begun to overdefine me. I don't know if that makes sense, but I hate to think I'm being described somewhere as "Gypsy, you know, the one with the big bag full of crap." LOL!
Hmmm....tangent....anyhow, taking a look around our teeeeeeeny apartment and taking stock has really made me do a lot of thinking....and purging...and cleaning...
However, as I am loathe to add to landfill situations, I am forced to think of alternative purging methods.
The yard give was such a success that we're planning another, this is true. But I want to be more proactive. (As we're NOT planning another big gathering for a while....for sanity's sake.)I have the barter page on FB, and it seems to be doing very well, so I started a second site OFF FB to try to reach a wider audience. Meh. It's slow to grow, as they say. With both sites active and running though, I'm planning on taking some pics of all the cool stuff I need to further purge and perhaps try to trade for things I NEED. Yarn, a drying rack for clothes....things like that.
I'm also trying to save up for the gutted Winnie. I think that would end up being the perfect project for me. It would excersise all the crafty skills I have AND make me learn a bunch of new ones. The end result would be a freedom of sorts as well.I've been in one place for far too long. ;)
So the crux of my rather disjointed entry is this. Take a look around you. Weed out the unused, unloved and un-necessary in your life and you won't believe the breathing room you can achieve! It's almost like losing a huge amount of weight.

OK....last thing. I think I've figured out the problem with research. Medical, tech, scientific, whatever. Human beings are short lived and far too proprietary. Long ago the practice of choosing an apprentice was commonplace, and quite necessary. Many leaps forward were made as the result of an apprentice continuing the work of his/ her mentor. Someone who was there to observe the process from the beginning, or near enough. That way, when one's mentor died, the information that had been accrued up to then was already in the head ogf the apprentice. There was no need to waste time re-learning from notations the progress that had already been made, so precious time was never lost.
I really think humanity has become so engrossed in "I want my name on it" that 'it' never happenes. We live longer lives now than ever in recorded history, this is true....but not long enough to finish a project that takes generations to complete. The time lost in reviewing the notes of one's predecessor and trying to figure out where they were going next is so vast, in the scheme of progress, that it becomes a case of one step forward, two steps back. This is simply my opinion of course, and I'm just me, but it's something to think about.

I SWEAR I'll write little enough next time to add pics. LOL!
(also, later this week I have a surprise! My first interview! Woohoo!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

NOTE: The Ecoplum interview is being postponed untill we can figure out a GOOD way to do it. Also, waiting untill after all the online competitions they're involved in are done:

1) EcoPlum will donate $10 to Matter of Trust's cleanup work in the Gulf with your FREE trial subscription to Netflix. It's an easy way to help at no cost to you. If you don't have Netflix, just try it!


2) Tomorrow is the LAST DAY to vote for EcoPlum in the Myoo Create Beat Waste Startup Challenge. It only requires a one time vote and we could win a cash prize - thanks so much!


3) We've been participating in the Ladies Who Launch/Startup Nation Leading Moms in Business Competition since May. You may have seen our daily reminders on Facebook. Please vote for us every day in this competition. It's a little bit of a pain in the tush, but very much appreciated!! Our needle is getting into the HOT HOT HOT zone - please help us tip it there!!!

So that's what THEY'RE up to! Take advantage of the Netflix thing if you aren't already a member! And PLEASE go to Myoo and Ladies who Launch and VOTE!!!!